1917

A Borough is Born

The cloud of war hung over the United States. After the re-election of Woodrow Wilson, German submarine attacks continued against supply ships to Europe. By December Wilson declared war on Germany.

William Lake and his wife Edith took over the lighthouse. William was the longest-serving keeper and Edith would be the first woman elected to serve on the Borough Council.

A bill to incorporate Sea Girt from Wall Township as a borough was introduced in February of the state legislative session.

“Notice of intention to ask for the passage of an incorporation act has just been made by a number of Sea Girt citizens. They are:”

  • Chas. William Noble, Prime investor in the Sea Girt Company

  • C. E. Emerick, A commuter to NY who purchased his lot in 1912

  • William H . Cranmer, Superintendant of the Sea Girt Guard Camp

  • Harvey Blakey, Operator of the Sea Girt Farm which included the waterworks

  • Leonard T. Newman, Owner of Block Ice in Manasquan and Harvey Blakey’s son-in law

  • Charles H. Roberts, Superintendant for Sea Girt Co and Marshal

  • Rev. Henry Clay Mitchell, Pastor at St. Uriel’s

  • Howard R. Conover, Contractor

  • Joseph S. Devlin, Son of the late Thomas and Airenda Devlin owner of the Paker House

  • Walter W. Wilson Wintertime Cottage Management and Real Estate Agent

  • F. C. Baird Sales Sea Girt Co. & Director at the Country Club

In ealry May, the citizens 22 voters cast votes for boro formation. It was 20-1 and one disqualification and the resolution passed. The next move was to set up a government.

There was some debate that the subsequent elections were going to be “Filled with Company men”.

J. Bunford Samuel had a meeting in his home Saul Wahl just before the vote for mayor and council. Neighbors were warned that some people’s right to vote could be challenged. Only full-time residents who previously could vote in Wall would be permitted. 20 of the 32 eligible voters attended the meeting.

Samuel himself could not vote as he lived in Philadelphia. But he was enthusiastic about democratic rule and pledged to fund the building of a boro hall with a fire company, offices, a public meeting room, and a police lock-up. The building would be fireproof and built with brick and terra cotta.

The multi-purpose municipal building is still serving Administration, Police, and Fire

At the first election several sets of ballots were printed, some labeled “Citizen’s” and some labeled “People’s”

Charles Emerick was the lone candidate for Mayor.

For the Council, it was Cranmer, Rev. Mitchell, Francis Baird, Rev. James Lisk, a retired Baptist clergyman, Hoarce Rounds, former company man and proprietor of the Tremont Hotel, Blakey, Contractor Edward Mack, and NY commuter F. E. Huchens, who was added after it was rumored that the Episcopal Bishop might stop Rev. Mitchell from serving.

J. B. Samuel in a tree (MCM Collection, Library Company of Philadelphia)

Charles Roberts was voted Assessor, Leonard Newman Treasurer and Collector, and Walter Wilson Justice of the Peace.

28 of the 32 men voted. Women were still three years away from voting. Emerick, Cranmer, Lisk and Rounds got 28 votes. Blakey got 27, and Huchens 15.

Mack, Baird, and Mitchell each got 14 votes. At the first meeting of the Borough Council, Emerick decided not to break the tie, and leave the tied seat unfilled until the next regular election in November.

The county also replaced the 1st ave bridge over Wreck Pond in 1917. The old wooden bridge from 1907 MCM Photo

They met on July 6, 1917, and were sworn in by lawyer Frank Durand at the Tremont until the Boro Hall was built. Roberts was given $100/month to supervise highways and continue in his role of Marshal. Durand was appointed Boro Attorney also $100/month for his services. Many of the committee assignments mirrored the jobs already being done by the company men.

Horace Rounds who was already providing lifeguards for the Tremont, took care of the rest of the town. He was paid an additional $60 for August to patrol the entire town’s oceanfront.

Three sites were suggested for the new Borough Hall. While a Boston Blvd location near the Plaza was overwhelmingly preferred, 4th and Baltimore was selected.